Legal Publishing to the Federal Government
I started my career in legal publishing. With that experience, I moved to the federal government.
- Tax Analysts (taxation information publisher).
- Tax Management, a part of the Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (legal information publisher).
Federal Government Career
- Several internships served while enrolled in university, including the Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service.
- Federal Reserve Board.
- Library of Congress (full-time).
Andre Mander and BNA CEO Paul Wojcik
This photo was from my fifth anniversary as a tax law editor at the Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (now part of Bloomberg, LP).
Rev. Mr. Ulysses S. Rice, Jr.
In memoriam (March 9, 1925 – January 5, 2014)
In my professional life, I have had the opportunity to meet many talented and caring people. One of them was a person I saw on a televised Roman Catholic Mass while an elementary school student. I did not know the deacon’s name, but it was hard to miss him in the background.
Many years later, I went to the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, a parish near the law school I attended. I ultimately became a volunteer there and happened to meet a deacon that resembled the deacon I saw on television. One day I asked the deacon, Rev. Mr. Ulysses Rice, Jr., and he confirmed that it was him on television.
For many years, we worked together at church, both at Mass and in social activities.
In his later years, he had cancer, which then became terminal. He was a considerate family man (married to his wonderful spouse, Alma (1924-2017)), clergyman, friend, and mentor.
I am grateful for the time we were able to work together. I miss seeing Deacon Rice’s smile, as well as hearing his voice and wonderful laugh.
St. Matthew's Cathedral
- Volunteer since 1997.
- Parish Council (2008-2011). Served on Executive Committee as Secretary and Vice Chair.
- Anniversary Book Committee (2014).
- Wrote essay “Ministry for the Disabled” for the Cathedral’s anniversary book, St. Matthew’s of Washington: The Parish at 175 Years (2015).
- Cooking (from recipes).
- Studying Spanish as a second language.
- Watching various programs (mostly telenovelas) in Spanish on TV and YouTube.
- Using the grill outside (in the summer).